For those of you that follow, you know my plan was to take off some time at the end of the year. I originally started with the plan to take off seven days but ended up being ten days of no running. I only did two weights workouts as well.
Here's what I learned:
- Everyone needs to take a break every now and then. From now on I will do this on an annual basis usually near the end of the season(November/December) It helps rejuvenate me into enjoying running again. What a surprise - not.
- Not running does not necessarily fix things. I'm not sure that not running helped things that much. Time will tell if it did or not. I do know that it did NOT hurt taking off this time. I plan to get a sports massage in the near future and see if that helps as well. I've always been a believer that stretching and self massage has helped me overall.
- You don't lose that much fitness - I have to say that from yesterday's 3 miler(I know, it's not that long) that I learned taking off 10 days, you don't lose that much fitness. It's not like I was huffing and puffing. Many experts feel there a significant reduction(3-7%) but let's be real here - I'm not an elite so 7% is not THAT material to me. On a half marathon, that reduces my time from 1:40 to 1:47. Significant? I guess but nothing for me to lose sleep over.
- I'm happy to not be running a full this year - the half still remains my favorite distance - I would actually love to run a full this year. Confused yet? In my mind, I want to run a full but I know that I cannot handle it right now so I'm getting back to basics. Enjoying the run. I've thrown my time goals out the window this year. Could I push it sure, but why? I also want to get back into running the trails when the snow clears or maybe when they are not clear. Snowshoeing anyone?
- Weights workouts - I need to do more of this. All things lead to a strong core. I need to workout more with weights and will shoot for at least twice a week this year. It's a difficult thing for me to do consistently but I know it will make me a better and stronger runner.
|Let's get to know each other again.|
- Enjoy the run - if it's not fun, why do it? Enough said.
Have a great day and....Keep Running!!!!